Tuesday 30 December 2014

Liverpool 4 Swansea 1 - Reaction

God that was good wasn't it?

It's only after a great performance and 3 points like we saw against Swansea last night that you realise just how difficult the last few months have been. I don't think anyone predicted the drastic swing in Liverpool's fortunes that saw us nearly win the league 10 months ago to sitting 10th in the league at Christmas.

After back to back wins and perhaps more importantly an impressive display and four goals last night Liverpool FC end 2014 if not on a high, certainly on an assent.

I'm not going to go in for a big review of the year as there will be hundreds of those around, plus I can barely remember last week let alone 6 months ago, but I do want to make a few observations about last night...

Coutinho is class - I thought he was absolutely majestic last night, full of running, clever and his deft touch for Lallana's goal was sublime. He is still very young and I just hope he can develop into the world class player that he has the potential to be. Our only problem will be keeping hold of him if he does.

Lallana looking the part - He was one of the signings I was most happy with and despite not exactly setting the world alight I felt Lallana had been one of our better performers this season. He has undoubted ability and class and last night that began to show through more comprehensively. Now I just hope he kicks on and starts to gamble a bit more in the final third and has more shots and looks to slip those clever balls in... as opposed to always checking back the way he seems to love to do. Definitely he best performance in a red shirt so far.

Can, can - It's puzzled me why Can has not featured more so far this season, but his introduction into the back three has a been a revelation. I know we didn't buy him as a defender but he has experience at CB for the German U21 and at Leverkusen and on the evidence so far he could have a future there for Liverpool. He looked utterly composed and extremely calm - exactly what we've been crying out for at the back.



Henderson is better in the centre - I don't think there was any doubt about this really. but I enjoyed seeing Henderson back in the middle and he looked much more comfortable himself. He was able to sit in with Lucas when needed, but with Lucas doing the dirty stuff he was also able to join in with the front three and make those bursting runs that we enjoy so much.

Mignolet is better than Jones - again, I don't think there was any doubt about that really. Mignolet does not look like the long term answer for us, not in the slightest and we desperately need to buy a keeper in January but I feel happier with Mignolet in goal than I do Brad Jones.

Sterling Finish - Sterling has looked fantastic playing as a makeshift centre forward his movement and intelligence is way beyond his years and he can just start to add better finishing to his game he will become unstoppable.

I also think Manquillo and Moreno should get a mention, they performed well in those wing back positions. Manquillo will never be as attacking as Moreno, but he does a decent job. Lucas as ever did all the simple stuff really well, I'm so glad to see him back in the side regularly. Sakho as well deserves a mention, their goal was as much Skrtel and Henderson's fault as it was his.

Let's just really hope we can continue this sort of form into the Leicester game and 2015 might just start to look a little rosier again.

No comments:

Post a Comment